Our family is crazy about seafood in all forms. Whenever we go to Kerala, D has a long list of Seafood dishes he wishes to have.Amongthem Kakka Irachi or Clam Meat is one of his all time favourites. The best part is that once it is made, none of us have the patience to wait till meal time. At least half of it would have already reached its destination..... our stomachs. :-)
The recipe I am sharing with you is that of Kakka Irachi Thoran (Stir Fried Clam Meat with Coconut). This is a typical Kerala preparation. Ensure that the dirt from the clam meat is removed completely before starting the preparation.
Kakka Irachi Thoran (Stir fried Clam meat with Coconut)
Source: My Mom
- Combine the clam meat with 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, salt, green chillies, ginger-garlic mince, and a few curry leaves along with water.
- Cover and cook in an earthen pot, stirring in between, till the water dries off completely.
- Meanwhile, slightly crush the shallots, garlic, chillies and fennel seeds.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the crushed shallots, garlic, chillies and fennel seeds along with curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder and coconut and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked clam meat and mix well. Let it cook till it is well blended.
- Serve hot with Rice.