Today I decided to make Daal fry for lunch. My maiden tryst with Daal fry was immediately after marriage when we went to a restaurant with our friends. One of them ordered Daal fry and to my surprise it turned out to be a curry contrary to my expectations of a dry dish. :-) Daal fry is a simple curry consisting of cooked lentils (Daal), sauteed onions, tomatoes and finished off with a tempering. It can be served with rice or any bread of your choice
Daal Fry (Stir fried lentils with onions and tomatoes)
- Cook the lentils till mushy and keep them aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add the asafoetida and stir for a few seconds and then add onions.
- Saute till golden brown, then add the spring onion and ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, tomato and mix well.
- Cook till the oil separates.
- Add the cooked lentils and mix well.
- Mix the kasoori methi and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.