Today I was feeling very adventurous and wanted to try out something really different from another part of the world. My search for this adventurous dish landed me on Burmese Khow Suey. Although I have heard a lot about Burmese Khow Suey, I never got an opportunity to taste it till date. Burmese Khow Suey is a noodle dish consisting of coconut milk, meat and certain spices. It is a wholesome meal and is very similar to Curry Laksa, a Malaysian delicacy.
After a lot of research I decided to follow the recipe found in Rasbhara. The procedure was pretty easy and the fragrance was inviting. Now was the taste test. "Amazing" was the word. When my boys tasted their first morsel, they went "Wow!!! This is too good". Then came the request for the second helping...... Another successful experiment..Yippee!!!
This recipe can be followed to prepare the vegetarian version substituting chicken with veggies like beans, carrots, baby corn etc.
Burmese Khow Suey
For the noodles
For the gravy
For the Garnish
- Boil the water required for noodles along with salt and garlic. Add the noodles and cook till the noodles are done. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain and keep aside..
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute the onions till soft. Add the ginger- garlic pastes and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder along with chicken and saute till the chicken is cooked.
- Add the gram flour and mix well. Pour in the coconut milk along with water or stock and add the salt. Let it boil till it thickens. Switch off heat.
- For Serving: .
- Take the serving bowl and add some noodles. Pour the gravy so that the noodles are well covered. Garnish according to your liking. Serve hot.
Note: I would definitely recommend using all the garnish ingredients including fried garlic :-)